Program Manager for the FoCUS Project
The FoCUS Program Manager is responsible for the coordinated development, execution, and communication of the FoCUS strategic plan. Will work in collaboration with the Executive Director NEWDIGS, Strategic Director of FoCUS, the FoCUS Advisory Group and other stakeholders to help shape the FoCUS programs and initiatives, build and reinforce the FoCUS reputation nationally by organizing its research in media appearances, conferences, seminars, forums, and other public speaking opportunities.
The position is responsible for oversight of the Financing and Reimbursement of Cures (FoCUS) in the US Project and associated new initiatives that will facilitate the research and dissemination of the project objectives. The manager will work closely with the Strategic Director of FoCUS and the NEWDIGS Operations Manager to oversee the programmatic development and management of industry partners and program deliverables, and collaborate and communicate effectively with staff and affiliated faculty.
Note: This position is funded for one year with the possibility of renewal based on the availability of funding and meeting performance goals.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
Consortium Management: Communications, Membership Development & Fundraising: 40%
- Responsible for fundraising, which includes identifying and stewarding corporate and regulatory supporters as well as exploring additional funding opportunities, including developing proposals and grants. Work with Strategic Director to determine annual fundraising plans and targets and ensure milestones are met.
- Responsible for the ongoing management of the FoCUS consortium. Act as the touch point for FoCUS members for stakeholder engagement and retention. Be the eyes and ears on the ground to understand the issues and activities most important to FoCUS members, and attracting the right talent from the FoCUS community to engage in relevant project workstreams.
- Lead strategic stakeholder management in the FoCUS Project. Plan, develop, and facilitate productive and growing relationships between MIT and corporate/industry organizations and other stakeholders within the U.S. Assess the potential for strategic and geographic expansion. Actively identify prospective companies to become members. This includes managing processes to develop new strategies or identify new opportunities to get funding and engagement from the international community.
- Prepare presentation decks, prospectus, and other communications materials.
- Lead the event planning activities for the FoCUS project. Delegating and supervising the tasks appropriately to the Project Coordinator and other team members.
- Manage portfolio and full life-cycle of programs, initiatives and projects, including planning for originating new initiatives and managing existing activities through maturity model as well as planning for retirement of fully mature activities.
- Work with appropriate MIT counterparts to develop periodic workshops on learnings generated by the consortium during Design Labs and other related activities. Deliver 2-3 workshops annually, ensuring adequate funding and sponsor support.
- Develop work breakdown structures, estimate costs and determine staffing requirements based on the project objectives and scope.
- Manage, coach and supervise all project team members.
Strategic Leadership: 20%
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Strategic Director, develop realistic strategic short- and long- term business objectives that will most effectively engage and sustain industry and other stakeholder partners.
- Translate strategic objectives and plans into operational plans, deliverables, and milestones.
- Develop metrics that analyze the effectiveness of the Programs, Initiatives, and projects. Evaluate services to ensure sponsor satisfaction. Provide ongoing analysis of program performance against budget and goals.
- Organize the appropriate FoCUS representation at industry functions, such as association events and conferences, and at various internal and external meetings as appropriate.
- Provide mentorship to MIT students interested in careers financing and healthcare. Develop new and creative opportunities for connecting students and sponsors.
- Additional duties as needed.
Reports directly to the Executive Director.
Supervises FoCUS staff, including Project Coordinator, collaborators and students.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field, specialized training or equivalent work experience.
- At least 3 years of administration, communications, and operations experience with project or program management. Demonstrated experience successfully leading large, complex projects including setting goals, establishing timelines, managing budgets and meeting deliverables with a team of internal developers as well as external consultants.
- Ability to meet the simultaneous demands of industry, academia and a global community of healthcare stakeholders.
- Must possess diplomacy, tact, and the ability to present compelling arguments.
- Solid experience and ability to effectively engage, relate to, build consensus and negotiate with senior faculty, university administrators and outside stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship management and client service skills that promote collaboration and cooperation amongst a wide diversity of faculty, staff, students and external stakeholders.
- Requires the flexibility and ability to attend evening and/or weekend events, and travel domestically and internationally to meet with current and potential members up to 10% time.
- Familiarity with MIT and the research consortia/initiative model strongly preferred.
- Experience working with University/Industry partnerships extremely helpful.
- Demonstrated fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders desired.
- Understanding of different sectors including Biopharma, Medical, clinical trials
Candidates must submit applications via the MIT human resources website.
TO APPLY, PLEASE VISIT https://hr.mit.edu/careers Job #19221